Wisconsin Old Fashioned Sweet - VFW Style
So your interested in the classic Old Fashioned? In virtually any supper club, at least in Wisconsin, a brandy old fashioned is pretty much a staple as more than half of the world's brandy is consumed in Wisconsin. While I am partial to using brandy in my old fashioned, there is nothing wrong with using Bourbon instead which is what is shown in the video below.
In this version we're kicking up the old fashioned game up a notch. We are taking this classic cocktail and giving it a good smoke. My personal favorite is using maple chips, but a combination of cherry and apple chips is excellent as well.
- 1 - Sugar Cube
- 4 to 6 Dashes of Bitters
- 2 oz of Bourbon Whiskey (or Brandy in Wisconsin of course)
- 1 - Cherry
- 1 - Orange Slice
- 4 oz of Lemon Lime Soda
- Pinch of maple chips or half cherry, half apple chips
- Drop your sugar cube, bitters, cherry, and orange into your glass then muddle them all together.
- Put your ice and bourbon (brandy) in the glass.
- Place the Hogtender Smoker with the chips in the chambers on top of the glass. Use your butane torch and light the chips until a good amount smoke is in the glass (a few seconds will do it). Place the Hogtender top (the piece with the logo) on top of the glass and repeat the smoke steps on your next glass if you need to do another one right away.
- After one minute, take the top off and pour your favorite lemon lime soda into the glass (if you use Squirt instead it is an old fashioned sour).
Don't have a cocktail smoker, give one of our kits a try. Included in each of our kits are all the chips you need to make this drink.